To make a complex topic simple – iodine is a metallic element that can be electrically active and it helps stabilize water and hydrogen ions in a electrically active form. The combination of iodine and water in ionic form can create changes in protein structure more rapidly than regular enzymatic chemical reactions. The combination can effect DNA and mitochondria which helps explain why iodine is so important to infant development and energy levels throughout life.
Iodine is known as the mineral used in the thyroid hormone which is essential for energy metabolism but it is also essential for mitochondria which produce energy within every cell.
For more details: Tensegrity #6: Hydrogen Bonding Networks in Water, by Dr. Jack Kruse, a neurosurgeon, jackkruse.com.
Iodine & Proton Tunneling in Tadpole Development:
- Providing iodine allows normal development of frog tadpoles even when they are missing normal pituitary or thyroid gland function which typically would disrupt the loss of their tail and growth of legs. (Accelerated Metamorphosis of Frog Tadpoles by Injections of Extract of Anterior Lobe Pituitary Gland and the Administration of Iodine, pdf)
- A video with a simple explanation of proton tunneling (positive hydrogen ions are a single positive proton, the negative electron likely remains with the oxygen atom of a water molecule), and the role proton tunneling may help a tadpole change into a four legged frog is available in a video: How do tadpoles change into frogs: The secrets of quantum physics. Spark.
- Early stages of human development is somewhat similar to the changes seen in a frog tadpole. Between weeks four to seven of human fetal development the fertilized egg changes from a sphere shaped ball of cells into a tadpole type shape and then eventually into more of a human infant shape. (fetal development)
- Early miscarriages in human pregnancy may be more of a risk if the woman is low in iodine levels. (Iodine status in women after early miscarriages in the Czech Republic, endocrine-abstracts.org)
- Apathy, depression, slightly or significantly reduced cognitive skills, feeling cold in normal room temperatures, constipation, and sparse hair growth may all be symptoms of iodine deficiency in addition to increased risk for miscarriage in early pregnancy. Food sources and symptoms of deficiency for iodine and selenium are available here: Iodine & Thyroid, effectivecare.info)
Humans need iodine, we are water based creatures, 60-70% water, and it is electrically stabilized and made more chemically efficient by iodine. We grow rapidly during infancy and childhood however we continue to perform rapid electrical reactions in all of our mitochondria in all of our cells, every day of our lives. Loss of mitochondria function has been linked to many chronic illnesses and with aging.
We need iodine because the water within our brain cells and other cells need iodine and the hydrogen ion rich plasma of our mitochondria need iodine. Quantum proton tunneling saves energy, – it is how the sun works too.
- How does Quantum Tunneling help create thermonuclear fusions in the core of the Sun? reddit.com/r/askscience/.
/Disclaimer: This information is provided for educational purposes within the guidelines of fair use. While I am a Registered Dietitian this information is not intended to provide individual health guidance. Please see a health professional for individual health care purposes./